Thursday, June 30, 2016

Am I a Poet Yet?

Am I a Poet Yet?
So here is another question I have for culpable TV stars: why does poetry have its own distinct name? I think it's worth asking them this question because they confuse poetry with comedy. Is poetry comedy? I never thought so, myself, and I write comedy scripts. If you like comedy, you can browse through over a thousand comedy scripts in this account. I have most of them alphabetically organized in my scripts index. I don't struggle for hours and hours every day to construct perfect rhyming verses to make people laugh. Some of the situations might be amusing, but my goal as a poet is to inspire others, not to amuse them.

Long before we had the cruddy TV, people took their inspiration from the poets. Poets and artists have always been at the forefront of every major advance in our history. But if those bastards who stole my work were around during the Renaissance, we probably still wouldn't have figured out how to build an engine. And the church was apparently a far more trustworthy guardian than whomever paid those bastards to steal my work.

I've learned that I enjoy the challenge of constructing good, flowing verses around a rich story of my own invention. I like using my characters and situations to express my thoughts and feelings. And if these expressions turn out to resonate with a large portion of the population at some point, I will be pleased to have been able to provide inspiration to my readers.

I must love writing poetry. I've had to rewrite every word of my poems since I first shared them. And now I must wonder how many more times I will have to repeat myself on the matter of my ownership before I die.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2016. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment